Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Possibility of Androids


The future. It’s funny thinking about it. Such a vast mysterious thing. It can be what you want it to be. So full of possibilities, so full of excitement.
My brother is 25. He is working as a market analyst in London. He has a swanky job, a swanky apartment, a swanky car. He has a gorgeous girlfriend back in India. He is happy. Yesterday he told be the best years of his life were in college.
My flatmate is 34. She is an apparel designer. She works till 6, then has dance classes, guitar classes and a baking class. She is beautiful and has an adorable merchant navy fiancé. Every night during dinner she goes on about how she wishes she were back in college.
My father is 56. He is a mechanical consultant. He owns his own company. He has a beautiful house, an incredible wife, amazing kids (if I say so myself).  His best years were in college.
I am 20. I am in college. I have a fantastic time. I am learning all sorts of things, most unrelated to my coursework. I have a whole future full of possibilities. I have dreams and goals and hopes. I want a future where I am even happier than now. But all evidence indicates that that will probably not happen. These will be the best years of my life, and then I’ll settle down to the monotony of routine and schedule. My capacity to be happy and be excited will diminish. My dreams and hopes will be compromised with reality.
Why try then? Why try so hard, get my hopes up when this is the top point of the graph? After this, reality kicks in with all its responsibilities.
Of course, there is no way about it. I know that. Nothing lasts forever. This too shall pass. It’s just a little depressing thinking about how fast it’ll all end. The supposedly best chapter in my life will be closing in just a few months.
But I know other doors will open. There will be change, and that in itself is exciting. I look forward to whatever the future throws at me.
Who knows, in my future, there may even be androids :D

No comments: